Menu - About Island
Dedicated to HSE
Dedicated to a Strong, Sustainable Health, Safety and Environment Culture
Parkland Corporation’s goal is to be the industry leader in managing the health, safety and environmental (HSE) risks associated with the transportation, delivery and handling of petroleum products. Our safety programs, training and policies have delivered measurable results and earned an impressive amount of recognition from governments, safety councils and more. The following achievements highlight our progress to date:
- Parkland designed and successfully implemented our Drive to Zero campaign to support our corporate goal of achieving zero injuries, zero incidents and zero spills. The Parkland team achieved a full year with zero lost time injuries in February 2015. Currently, we are at 3 million man hours without a lost time injury.
- We implemented an Annual HSE Safety Plan based on the needs assessment from the previous year.
- We developed a Transportation Safety Manual and an Employee Safety Manual, and also implemented a Safety Management Program.
- We launched a successful Idle Smart Program, which has reduced fuel and maintenance costs, reduced emissions and increased environmental awareness.
- We equipped our heavy vehicles with onboard technology to monitor and audit driving behaviour, patterns and regulatory compliance.
- Every Parkland manager completed an in-depth safety leadership management program.
- Every Parkland employee involved in the transportation, delivery and handling of petroleum products received spill management and the Safe by Choice personal accountability safety training.
Awards and Recognition
- Parkland received a Certificate of Recognition from the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta and Nova Scotia. Audits of our Safety Management System resulted in scores that exceeded industry standards.
- Department of Transportation regulators from the provinces and territories in which we operate determined our Carrier Profile exceeds the standard safety rating requirements for on-road performance.
- We received the maximum rating for compliance based on compliance audits by the Ontario Technical Standards and Safety Authority.
- Our propane business received an AAA rating from the Ontario Better Business Bureau.
- We are members of The Propane Advisory Council, The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, The Liquefied Petroleum Gas Emergency Response Corp, The Technical Standards and The Safety Authority Risk Reduction Committee and The Canadian Fuels Association (National Environment and Brownfields Committees and 2015 Chair of Land Spill Emergency Preparedness Committee)
Parkland will continue to strengthen and energize our HSE culture—protecting our people, our customers, the public and the environment in which we all work and live.